Here are the five teams we think will be most heavily used online this year, plus a few more that will show up often. It’ll be the usual suspects that are the online favorites this year.
1. Ohio State – Year after year Ohio State is one of the most heavily used teams in online play. Don’t expect that to change this year. Terrelle Pryor will again provide an excellent combination of running ability and passing from the QB position, and Boom Herron, DeVier Posey and company will complement Pryor nicely. Add in what should be one of the higher ranked defenses in the game and the home field advantage of Ohio Stadium, and we expect the Buckeyes to be the most heavily used team once again in NCAA 12.
2. Oregon – Though used often, the Ducks aren’t usually a top choice for online users. However, coming off a national championship appearance and with QB Darron Thomas and RB LaMichael James, Oregon will get plenty of love this year. No defense on the game will have the speed to match Oregon’s offense, and if users take advantage of the Ducks’ no-huddle offense they will be nearly unstoppable on O. The defense should be good but not great, but with an offense capable of 50+ points that won’t be an issue online.
3. Oklahoma – Every year there is a team on NCAA Football that is head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to ratings. Last year it was Alabama and two years ago it was Florida. Despite Auburn being the defending champs, Oklahoma is the best bet to be preseason #1 this year and they will have the ratings to back up the #1 spot. QB Landry Jones and WR Ryan Broyles will make the Sooners’ no-huddle a nightmare for opposing defenses, and LB Travis Lewis can blow up offensive game plans. Expect most of the rest of the Oklahoma starters to be rated highly as well.
4. Michigan – Much like Ohio State, Michigan is routinely one of the most heavily used teams online. But unlike the Buckeyes, Michigan has had relatively few playmakers the last few years. That will change this year with Denard Robinson expected to be ranked highly at the QB position. Users who like a scrambling QB (and there are a lot of those type of users) will love Michigan this year and will run wild with Robinson.
5. Alabama – The Tide’s online popularity sky-rocketed last year, and they should be used heavily again this year. Though several stars are gone, RB Trent Richardson and a potentially dominant defense will make the Tide an appealing option again this year. AJ McCarron should be good enough to make Alabama’s passing game a threat, and the o-line will make stopping Richardson a daunting task for any opposing defense.
Honorable Mention: Nebraska, LSU, Florida – Taylor Martinez and an outstanding defense will make the Huskers a top option online, while both LSU and Florida have enough highly-rated skill players to keep any user happy. These three teams will all be a threat to crack the top 5.
Tweetback for this post? Add Most Popular Online Teams in NCAA Football 12 to your tweet.
Tags: ncaa football 12